Tuesday, December 4, 2007

PAEMST

The PAEMST is the Presidential Award for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching.  It is a program that is run by the National Science Foundation that recognizes teachers.  

I was fortunate to win the 2004 award for mathematics and was honored at a week-long celebration in Washington, DC along with the awardees from the other 50 states.  

It was a life-changing experience for me - definitely a career-defining moment.  For a while it really inspired me to try to be involved in systemic educational improvement, but lately it drives me and what I do in the classroom.  I have discovered that I really enjoy taking a "more narrow" view.  Instead of trying to change the system, I'm just working on what I can do to help my students learn and become the best they can be.

For about a year after I won there was a lot of talk among the awardees and the vendor that coordinates the awards about starting up a Presidential Podcast site to help spread the word and set examples of podcasting in education.  Unfortunately, this never came to fruition, but while it was in the works, I created this podcast with my students.  

This podcast was originally created in 2005.  I added the titles and such in iMovie today to make it a video podcast that I could upload to my blog.  I enjoyed rediscovering it this morning.  I hope you enjoy it too.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would really like to do a pod casting.